Versailles, the sun of Yvelines

The lion’s Gate

78380 Bougival

  • listed
  • Historic site and monument
Porte des lions
BIT de Bougival

Share on:

The grand entrance flanked by 2 lions was built from stone and wrought iron c.1880 by the architect Pasquier financed by the banker Nissim de Camondo.

In the 18th century, it was the entrance on the Seine's side of the Countess Du Barry 's mansion in Louveciennes. At that time, the park extended from the house at the top of the hill down to the river.
The banker Nissim de Camondo gave it as a gift to his mistress, Julia Thal de Lancay, the owner of the quarry known for the Blanc du Barry.
En 1880, a majestic entrance was built with wrought iron gates, stone lion and caryatids sculptures.

In 1911, “The Lions” became the property of Louis Loucheur (1872-1931), a Deputy and Minister ot the Third Republic. This building would later belong to François Coty, the famous perfumer.
The building was later demolished but the lions remain at the entrance of the newly built block of private apartments.

In short


  • listed


How to get there?

Versailles, the sun of Yvelines

69-82 Quai Boissy d'Anglas

78380 Bougival

New windowSee itinerary

The map