Versailles, the sun of Yvelines

Madame du Barry’s private mansion

78000 Versailles

  • Museum
Hôtel de Madame du Barry
Office de Tourisme de Versailles

Share on:

Hôtel de Madame du Barry

Services and equipments

  • Parking

Countess du Barry was King Louis XV's favorite and purchased this estate in 1772, in order to welcome her own housekeepers and assigned the construction of the fabulous stables to the architect Claude Nicolas Ledoux.

After King Louis XV's death, in 1775, she was forced to split off of her entire estate, for the benefit of the Count of Provence, brother of the new King, Louis XVI.
The Count let Jean François Chalgrin continue the construction. From the French Revolution, the estate became a military area. Then the house and the stables were seperated in 1902: they are now the Police Headquarters.
The other part belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Versailles, from 1937. It still keeps gorgeous decors and outstanding works of the last King Louis XV's favorite.

The site is only accessible on a guided tour with the Versailles Tourist Office! For more information, please contact us.


How to get there?

Versailles, the sun of Yvelines

19, Avenue de Paris

78000 Versailles

  • Close to a motorway
  • In centre of town
  • Town location
  • Station district
  • Close to a public transportation
  • Lake 5 km away
  • Bus station under 300 m
  • Bus stop < 500 m
New windowSee itinerary

The map